My wife came up to me the other day, and wanted me to go to the store with her. On the way, she started telling me that she wanted to get some apple cider vinegar to help her lose weight. I had never heard of vinegar doing that, but she assured me that it did.
“So,” I asked, “Does salad vinegar or distilled white vinegar, or some other kind of vinegar do the same thing?” She said she didn’t know, but wanted the apple cider vinegar to try it out. Not just any apple cider vinegar, though. She wants raw vinegar. I wasn’t sure what that was either.
I realized that it might be fun to research the claims of apple cider vinegar as a cure and publish a blog post of what I learned. So, here it is.
According to several sources, there are many uses and benefits attributed to apple cider vinegar. Several sources claim that apple cider vinegar is a cure for several ailments and also has many other uses. I did a little research on the vinegar and here is what I found. And I have to confess that I have not tried them all. I have started using the diluted water and vinegar drink described below. Can’t hurt, and if the claims are true, I should have been doing it years ago.
Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar is a household cleansing agent. Mix half a cup of vinegar to a cup of water and this mixture can perform the same cleaning tasks as chemical cleaners without the harsh chemicals.
- Apple cider vinegar is a wart remover. Just soak a cotton ball in vinegar and tape it over the wart and leave it overnight. Over time, the wart will fall away. Continue the cotton ball procedure for a few days after the wart is gone to ensure it will not return.
- Apple cider vinegar is a flea repellant. A 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water sprayed on your pet’s coat and rubbed in will drive away fleas. Continue the procedure for a week and fleas will stay away in the future.
- Apple cider vinegar relieves sunburn. We all know the pain and itch of sunburn. A cup of vinegar added to bath water will help with relief. Soak for 20 minutes or so in the bath. The vinegar will nourish the skin and speed up the healing process.
- Apple cider vinegar is a skin treatment. This claim is sort of obvious since it helps with sunburn. A 1:2 mixture of vinegar to water, applied at night and in the morning regulates your skin pH. Your skin will feel healthier and age spots will fade over time.
- Apple cider vinegar is an aftershave. Rub some vinegar on your face after shaving to calm irritation and to nourish and moisturize the skin.
- Apple cider vinegar is a hair care product. A mix of half a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of water, used after you shampoo, will revitalize and nourish your hair, adding an incredible shine and protecting against split ends.
- Apple cider vinegar is a weight loss product. A tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water taken three or four times a day has been shown to aid in weight loss. Sound too good to be true? Try it and see for yourself.
- Apple cider vinegar reduces heartburn. A teaspoon of vinegar consumes 47 times it’s weight in excess stomach acid. Not really, that claim is from an old Rolaids commercial. However, a teaspoon of vinegar taken as medicine, followed by a glass of water can be effective in reducing heartburn.
- Apple cider vinegar is a tooth whitener. Swish vinegar in your mouth like you would mouthwash. The acidic vinegar will gradually remove stains on your teeth. I haven’t tried that yet. Seems like the taste would be pretty strong, but then again, Listerine mouthwash is pretty strong too. Don’t forget to brush regularly first.
- Apple cider vinegar helps maintain healthy pH levels in your body. Research has suggested that if you don’t maintain an alkaline pH level in your body, you are more susceptible to infections and your energy levels will decrease. The same drink that helps you lose weight will help you maintain a healthy alkaline pH level.
- Apple cider vinegar treats yeast infections. Here’s the third benefit of that vinegar cocktail. That water and vinegar drink you take for weight loss and healthy pH will also fight yeast infections. Taken daily, yeast infections will completely disappear.
- Apple cider vinegar is an allergy treatment. The vinegar helps cleanse your lymphatic system It helps reduce sinus congestion and can help clear sore throats and reduce the severity of headaches.
How is Apple Cider Vinegar Made?
Take a bunch of apples, squeeze the life out of them, and ferment them. Apple cider vinegar is made by squeezing the juice out of apples, adding bacteria and yeast, and allowing the solution to ferment. During this fermentation process the sugars in the juice are converted to alcohol. After this first process is complete, a second fermentation process is begun that converts the alcohol into vinegar by acetic acid-forming bacteria.
Pasteurized or Raw:
After the vinegar fermentation process is complete, the vinegar is in a state called raw vinegar. It is ready for use at that point. Raw vinegar contains a substance called mother of vinegar. This mother develops during the fermentation process and is a form of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria. Some people claim that raw vinegar has the most health benefits, and that the mother of vinegar provides some of those benefits. Whether true or not, the mother is harmless.
Pasteurization kills the acetic acid bacteria, and therefore there is no mother of vinegar in the pasteurized product. Pasteurization is a heat process used to give the pasteurized products a longer shelf life and to kill harmful organisms. It will also kill beneficial bacteria.
Feel free to comment on this post. I’d appreciate it.